This morning, Olivia and I cooked up some french toast and a nice Saturday morning was under way. Until... O's eye became very red, both on the inside and outside. Then small white bumps started appearing around the eye, then spreading to the forehead and chin. My poor baby was having an allergic reaction. To french toast??
We jumped in the car and were talking with a doctor within 10 min. End result: allergy testing. Actually, let me back up. The doctor was about to let us go on our merry way without any diet recommendations until he asked if Olivia was "loose" (had the runs).
Well that provoked a huge story. Yes, she was constipated from 6 months to 1.5 yrs old. Mom (I) suspected an intestinal problem and had blood, urine and stool samples taken. Meanwhile, every doctor, dietitian and midwife said that an allergy would present itself as diarrhea. Anyways, I finally gave up and switched to soy/oatmeal milk at 1.5 yrs old. At first, Olivia's life quality seemed to improve dramatically. She slept more than ever and was less whiney. However, after 3 months of loose stools and the same whiney self, I figured we had not really found a solution.
After speaking to a doctor, another dietitian and not getting any result, Magnus and I realized we just saved us a lot of time by having that allergic reaction this morning. Now will get down to the real problem. And maybe Olivia might be a normal child – like one that sits in the stroller and one that doesn’t wake up by barefeet on woodfloor and one that… ok, you get it.
Suspected: Minor milk and egg allergy.
Worst case scenario: Gluten also.
Saturday, September 25, 2010
On the right track.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment