Sweden is lacking in many ways. My recent adventures have reminded me of this, both for the good and bad.
VEGETABLE-less
We took a ferry to Åland and ate from the famous buffé. I cannot even count the amount of fish and meat displayed -- at least 30 diff types including ribs, lamb, roastbeef, meatballs, salmon x 5, herring x 10, ham x 3, turkey, salami, pork sausages, etc. However, I only found 2 vegetable dishes: a spicy lentil, carrot mix for the vegetarians and for the normal people, some roasted artichoke. That't it! Unless you count pickles, which I counted for lack of anything better. How am I supposed to keep my daughter nurished? I will never get used to the Scandinavian giants' diet of ham, potatoes and coffee.
RODENT-less. INSECT-less
I have perhaps seen 1 rat or big beetle during my entire time in Sweden. But during the past few weeks I have been "exposed" since I have been taking the bus to work when Magnus and Olivia are at the cottage. When I take Bella to dog daycare, I have to walk through a well-known "immigrant" area. I expected the first morning walk to be pretty uneventful, but I saw these flashes of grey ahead of me on the path. Yes, sure enough rats were scurrying back and forth despite the dozens of people on the path. No one else seemed to be taken notice. EEEEEWWW! Since then, I stomp during my walks to make sure the rat community might fear the worst. It hasn't stopped me from seeing at least 1 per walk.
I will take vegetable-less Sweden as long as it stays rodent-less.
CREATIVE-less
That takes a whole book of thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment