Thursday, February 12, 2009

3 strikes and I'm out

I have to confess my parenting errors. Mostly because I am sure I will be laughing about these one day, if not already.
Strike 1 - Water in the mouth
Yes, in attempt to get both ears in the bath water as advised by the hospital at birth, I didn't even notice Olivia was about to swallow some serious water. Luckily my mom was there and rescued her immediately from danger. I see no reason to follow this silly ear rule any longer... not at the risk of choking.

Strike 2 - Bike accident
I have been mastering the walk with stroller in one hand, dog leash in the other hand and meanwhile shoulder holding the cell phone. I was getting pretty confident in my skills until the other day. A neighboring dog was out and I, like always, let Bella off the leash to play. A few seconds later, I turn around to see a bike come crashing down on Bella. I scream and drop the phone as Bella is trapped in a contortion of bike metal. Everything finally comes to rest and Bella runs away, looking back as if I had punished her. I pick up my poor doggy and run home, praying she doesn't have a broken back or internal bleeding. Bella limps and runs away from me all evening but luckily when Magnus comes home, all seems normal. No more cell phone when I should be caring for my babies!

Strike 3 - Ice death trap
We were in the park on a walk on a beautiful sunny day. At the end of the park path there was a small 4 foot incline. All other paths had gravel to cover the ice but this incline didn't. I decided to walk on the side which had leaves and stuff and to push the stroller over the ice since it would have tipped on such a steep side. Well just about at the top of the hill, the side incline was very small and gravity was tugging more and more on the stroller to fly down the hill. Tightening my grip, I fell. I was hanging on to the stroller - my baby - for dear life. The stroller slipped even more and part of the wheel started heading over the side. I knew it was just a matter of miliseconds before the stroller was going to do a 180, fly down the hill and off the side, thus catapulting my baby into the ocean of solid ice. I sat there praying someone would come by. Finally using pure adrenaline to regain control, I slide down the hill enough to regain footing. Whewww, who would have known a 4 foot incline could cause such drama.

Save 1 -
My friend Hanna visited me and noticed how Olivia raised her hands above her shoulders. Hanna, having children psychologists as parents, told me that this means Olivia feels secure, otherwise she wouldn't raise her arms like this. At least I get 1 point!

1 comment:

Fröken Leijon said...

Haha,du är skönast i världen :) Ring snart! /Tessan