Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happy 1st Birthday, Olivia!

Dear Olivia,
Happy happy Birthday -- 1 year old! A lot has happened in your first year of life. Barack Obama was inaugurated the first African American president in the US; the financial crisis hit worldwide in the fall of 2008 but the affects have carried into 2009 and are still causing problems, especially in the US; Michael Jackson died and Swine flu caused a mild panic throughout the world.

However, the biggest thing that has happened to me and your Pappa this year has definitely been -- YOU! I can't imagine life as it was, before you arrived. Let's go over your achievements.

- You learned to move your arms and legs, then your body, to sit up, to crawl, to finger feed yourself, and to almost walk and talk. Your confidence as well as your attitude has blossomed. It started out as a lot of physical work for me, carrying you around and feeding you all the time, but it has since become more psychologically difficult. I have started to discipline you, mainly for biting and pulling hair on Bella and me. We have been to the emergency room 4 times. Twice for constipation, once for sofa falling and once for a coffee spill. Mommy is still learning.

I used to be your favorite. It is slowly shifting to Pappa. I never thought having a baby would give me skinny legs and a six pack. But, that is just one of the many surprises you have blessed me with. You take me for granted, already. And I already miss your early baby stages although I also long for your independence.

Today, as I look back at the year, you have never been this sweet -- curling up in my lap to read books, taking suicide dives from the couch back, clapping and smiling throughout the entire day and peacefully drifting off to sleep without a cry as I lay you in your bed.

Congrats on surviving your first year with me -- with us. I promise not to screw up as much next year.

Love,
Your one and only Mommy (and your best friend Pappa)

No comments: